Silvretta 404 climbing bar replacement

BillA

Last year I broke the climbing bar (thing that flips up) from the heel unit on one of my 404's. So I ordered some replacements from garmont and got them and just tried to replace it, but the piece is way too wide and I can't bend it so it fits. Has anyone ever replaced one of these things? Are there any shops in portland that might have a clue as to how to fix it? confused.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have gotten the 400 heel piece instead. The 400 was the exact same binding with the exception of the heel lockdown unit. You either had to be really good at swinging a ski pole to engage/disengage it, or bend over and do it. When they switched to the 404 design, the whole unit was thinner, so they narrowed the wire. I would say goto OMC or the Mountain Shop and see if they have some spare parts that you might be able to swap with them. Another option is to contact Marmot/Backpackers Supply in Bellevue/Tacoma respectivly. I KNOW they have climbing wires for the 404.

Good Luck