St Helens avi danger

To_The_Top

I'm taking some friends up St Helens this weekend and wondering how others felt about avi danger would be. The sun didn't match the forcast. I think the snow consolidated a little over the 24 hours time it takes to consoladate and the southern exposure and the 4000' freezing level with the time makes it moderate on the ridge lines. The last 700'is the danger point. The bowl at top is where I feel some danger will occur. Is anyone going there or has anyone there the last few days. We are going up Worm Flows and checking sheer tests higher up. The NW avi danger was updated Wendsday. Bill

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Report for Thursday says condiderable to high and increasing on Friday. Sun is only a good thing AFTER is has restored equilibrium, not during. Unstable slabs of 3-5', several buried weak layers, etc tell me to stay on ridge tops or off the mountain.

My opinion...wait till next weekend and see if the avy danger is lower. The lower slopes of St.Helens seem to actually be steeper than the upper bowl on the Worm Flows route and that part of the lower mountain turns to mush by late morning on sunny days.

Plus if you wait till next weekend you can participate in the annual Mothers Day ski in a dress day on St.Helens...every Mothers Day a big group of wacko backcountry skiers meet on the summit of St.Helens and ski down wearing dresses for no real particular reason....its a really hilarious event.

Next Sunday is also the last day before the climbing permit quota goes into effect on the mountain for the summer.