Baker Ice

Sleeveless

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always go to the glacier toe and lower into some pretty deep crevasses. The icefall will be a mess for a while yet, but 65' of hard, though brittle, ice is available. Purists will argue that the top-rope effect isn't really climbing, but lowering into a dripping, creaking slash and climbing out vertical and over hanging walls is a great way to get a burn, if you ask me.

-Dog

Sleeveless-

Was on lower Coleman ice 'bouldering' & top-roping a few weeks ago before climbing n ridge. 20" of fresh snow in the week we were there, so think you'd want to be roped up. I can email you a couple pictures of the seracs if you want.

--coondog

wait till october. on coflax peak there is a very cool 3 pitch ice route. when i did it i thought it was about WI4/5. maybe because it was my first route of the season. 3 full pitches of pretty much vertical ice. it forms from the snow melt, so conditions have to be just right. remember not to go to the snow field @the top. it makes it hard to rap the route and we had to do some scary downclimbing. we used 2 v threads. i must say it was one of the coolest ice climbs i have ever climbed. the views are fantastic! go do it if it's there.

i forgot to mention fa by steve house. we thought we did fa but the bastard was faster and scooped it. i wouldn't think it's formed up right now, but i haven't been there, so i just speculate. both fa and ours were done in october