Sulfide Conditions

layton

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a guided party of 10 up to the sulfide this weekend. Had to hike someone out, drive them home, and hike back in to the camp at the col. It was very warm and the snow (lots) never froze so the other guide and I called it. We went up to near 6500 sunday to practice glacier travel, and the snow was still sloppy. The summit looks snowy. Basically there's a ton of snow and it's soft, although I can't say if I gets harder up higher although I doubt it. If your gonna do it soon, bring snowshoes or skiis and climb at night. The trailhead is 1 mile from where you park. Hope it gets cold for whatever you want to do (or really hot).

quote:

Geez...you're a bigger man than I to do something like that...or more gullible

No, I'm just stupid. In fact, since I had to hike back up I figgured why bring a tent or bag or stove since we're just gonna wake up when I get there and summit? Well we didn't and I froze my ass off.

On that same note, I'd highly reccomend the sulfide as a Car to Car route (along with every other route). Big packs = slow and warm. Small packs = fast and stupid. And like I said, I'm stupid.

I was up there yesterday. Conditions have not changed much, other than the fact that everything is now comming down in the form of wet slides. Snow shoes or skis were not nessessary however I would take them just like I did, they may be nessessary today.

It's only a 10 minute walk from the road to the Shannon Ridge TH these days. Solid snow starts at 3000'. Lots of big groups, so a good bootpath going in. Didn't get on the route, but parties who summited reported solid snow conditions and lots of ice early Saturday morning.