[TR] Sloan Peak- Sloan Glacier - solo day trip. 8/

zoroastr

Climb: Sloan Peak-Sloan Glacier - solo day trip.

Date of Climb: 8/20/2005

Trip Report:

Thought I was going to have to work this morning, but last night my vicious taskmasters at M****soft relented, and, suddenly faced with the prospect of an entire mad weekend to myself, I naturally bolted for the hills.

I resolved to get some payback on Sloan Peak's Corkscrew Route, a climb from which Erick Johnson, Rick Peder and I retreated in a previous early-season attempt, owing to deep powder on the scramble section. --Rick, if you see this, I still have your fleece jacket, and you're not getting it back. It's stylish, comfortable, and extremely well-travelled, having visited many interesting summits since you left it in my car two seasons ago...:)

First glimpse of the Sloan Glacier--it was at this point I regretted packing only my 4-point crampons...

sloan11.jpg

I didn't shrink this shot much, to show what a mess the Sloan Gl. is right now. There are very few comfortable routes through this nightmare. If you're planning to get the route before the snows fly, don't delay.

sloan3.jpg

Approaching the top of the Sloan Glacier and the beginning of the scramble section--actually, there's a surprising amount of hiking left to do on the other side after leaving the snow.

sloan4.jpg

Here's a shot of that magnificent climbers' trail.

sloan12.jpg

Another shot of the backside climbers' path, approaching the scramble section. Note the rap sling at the top of the tower. The climbing on the tower looked low-5th--memo to self: bring rope and partner to snap kewl tower shots next time!

sloan5.jpg

The summit itself was awesome, but the parade route offers only 3rd-class climbing, and precious little of that. The spectacular Sloan Glacier traverse is really the highlight of the route.

The morning's tea was served in antique Wedgewood with art deco flying bird design...

sloan1.jpg

Gear Notes:

I brought:

* inadequate, instep crampons--bring real ones.

* axe

* two Pop-Tarts, 2 bananas.

Approach Notes:

All clear up to the glacier. Owing to the condition of the Sloan Gl., though, this one's fading fast.

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic