This is the only current SAR on Rainier as of 8/18

To_The_Top

Sobo said this in a thread that was a bad joke, somehow I hope this guy is ok....

"There is currently ONE search (not a rescue) in effect, for one Zachary Weston, who became listed as overdue on 8/12. The search will be called off at the end of the day. This is the search that I was referring to in another post, as I believe that this is the guy that went up from Comet Falls. Seven rangers are looking for him from Point Success to Camp Hazard, with aerial reconnaissance as well.

And the number I provided above is NOT 360-569-2210 anymore. It has been changed to 360-569-2211. That is all."

PLEASE DO NOT JOKE about people missing in the mtns.

Drink a beer instead.

TTT

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the August 23 edition of The Morning Report...

Mount Rainier National Park (WA)

Search For Missing Hiker Ends

Searchers combed rocky terrain, dense forest, and glaciers for seven days, but were unable to find Zachary Weston, 22, of Meriden, Connecticut. Weston was reported missing at midnight on August 11th. Over the course of the following week, more than 20 searchers, on foot and aboard helicopters, looked for evidence of Weston's whereabouts in the rugged Mount Rainier backcountry. The search area extended from the Nisqually Glacier west to Success Cleaver and from 3,600 feet to the 14,410-foot summit. As the search progressed, more and more clues pointed to Wapowety Cleaver above the Kautz Glacier as Weston's route of travel. These included conversations he had had about the route, tracks ascending to 10,000 feet, and a stuff sack containing some of his belongings stashed at 9,000 feet. But no sign of him was found. Incident commander John Piastuck called the search to an end at the close of operations on August 18th.

[submitted by Lee Taylor, Information Officer]

RIP Zachary Weston. My condolences to your family on the passing of a life too soon.

From the August 23 edition of The Morning Report...

Mount Rainier National Park (WA)

Search For Missing Hiker Ends

Searchers combed rocky terrain, dense forest, and glaciers for seven days, but were unable to find Zachary Weston, 22, of Meriden, Connecticut. Weston was reported missing at midnight on August 11th. Over the course of the following week, more than 20 searchers, on foot and aboard helicopters, looked for evidence of Weston's whereabouts in the rugged Mount Rainier backcountry. The search area extended from the Nisqually Glacier west to Success Cleaver and from 3,600 feet to the 14,410-foot summit. As the search progressed, more and more clues pointed to Wapowety Cleaver above the Kautz Glacier as Weston's route of travel. These included conversations he had had about the route, tracks ascending to 10,000 feet, and a stuff sack containing some of his belongings stashed at 9,000 feet. But no sign of him was found. Incident commander John Piastuck called the search to an end at the close of operations on August 18th.

[submitted by Lee Taylor, Information Officer]

RIP Zachary Weston. My condolences to your family on the passing of a life too soon.

Another item on this sad event.

this sounds like chris mcCandles who went into denali national park and did the same thing in the early 90s.

Oh, just saw several others commented on that same thing. Weird though. Just goes to show you that intelligence isn't everything...common sense always wins.