Big Snow Mountain

gyselinck

I am in search of quality alpine routes in the Snoqualmie Pass area. Has anyone climbed Big Snow Mountain? I know nothing of the Middle Fork Road. From looking at a USGS map from 1989 it shows roads going almost to the base of the mountain. Can you still drive way back in there? What condition are the roads like? It looks like about 15 miles of gravel road from what I can see. I would like to approach it via Hardscrabble Creek. Interested in checking out the routes on the East Buttress.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have! I have! tongue.gif

489083-bs02ov.jpg

There's a good trail up to Hardscrabble Lakes from the MF road. Park about 1/4 mile from the end of the MF road. Should be an open flat spot large enough for several vehicles on right and a big slide on the left back down the MF road about 100 yards.

A logging road used to come down to the MF road where the slide is. It diagonaled up and right. Look for the overgrown road on the right edge of the slide 50-100 feet up. The correct slide is marked by a giant fallen log (8-10' in diameter) just downhill, but basically on, the road. Once you find the overgrown approach road you'll know you're on the right path if you find the abandoned logging crane with a giant log smashed across the cab (revenge of the forest?! hellno3d.gif).

The trail is pretty good, but easy to lose when it enters and exits a large talus field (if you lose it search down right toward the creek).

Have fun! Might be the last year you can drive up the MF road to the end.

489083-bs02ov.thumb.jpg.0cf3349fc30d27664af7d9a77cf3b180.jpg

Edited by chucK

We got up to Dingford Creek in a Saturn. We were going to walk up Big Snow via the Dingford Creek trail but got side traked by swimming in the lakes below the peak. The walk up route would be easeier when there is snow on it. Didn't see anyone all day and only 1 other car at the trail head. Get up there while you can, they keep talking about closing the road at Dingford.

I need a reliable partner who wont bail on me at the last second. cry.gif Its kind of a far out date, but if anyone wants to give it a go send me a pm or email and we'll make plans. I have a trip planned until possibly the 8th of sept, but could do it sometime between the 10th and 20th, except for the 14th. cantfocus.gif I could meet you somewhere before the climb, but you would have to drive the gravel road section because I don't have a 4-wheel drive car. I would like to camp up there and do both routs described in Beckey, but whatever. Its a climb I really wanna do.

I just drove up the Middle Fork Road yesterday, so have a bit more beta.

First, the road is pretty rough past Dingford Creek. I was glad to have a 4X4. You could get up it without maybe but it would be quite slow. High clearance is definitely recommended. ~ 2hrs to end of MF road from Seattle.

Second, to locate place where overgrown approach road used to reach the Middle Fork Road, there is an obvious unmistakable indicator. There is a HUGE fallen log (about 8-10' in diameter) just right of the road. The road is slightly diverted around it. That log marks the slide mentioned in my post above. Park there if you want or continue up the road about 100 yds to a large pullout complete with firepit.