[TR] Valhallas- Lies About The Valhalla Range 8/10/2005

Dru

Climb: Valhallas-Lies About The Valhalla Range

Date of Climb: 8/10/2005

Trip Report:

The Valhallas are not well known, except for the south ridge of Gimli

This is because the Valhallas suck. There is nothing else worth climbing there. All of the obvious lines were climbed a long time ago and they aren't very hard or very challenging. The rock is like the worst parts of Smith and Vantage combined.

There is a guidebook which is easy to find and surprisingly accurate. All of the existing climbs grades are accurately listed in the guidebook.

Ferocious bears are said to be quite rare in the area but we saw a lot of them anyway. At least 10 or 12 a day.

There are no lakes, just mud puddles. Not big enough to swim in.

The weather is generally superb. Thunder and lightning storms will NEVER come in on you half way up a climb.

All of the existing routes have copious fixed hardware but none of it is trustworthy. Even though all the climbing is 5.4, it's 5.4 X on loose rock clipping closely spaced yet rusty bolts. A terrible place to be a beginner climber.

The whole area is quite crowded with tourists, and very expensive. Permits cost hundreds of dollars a day.

The Gimli Road has been closed off. To get in there you will need a mule train, or better yet, the Space Shuttle. It is too far to walk and helicoptyers are forbidden to land in the area.

One consolation is that there are no bugs. Absolutely None!

wink.gif

The following images are PhotoShopped forgeries.

357thu5-med.JPG357thu3-med.JPG357teaser1-med.JPG

357gladsf-med.JPG357gimliglad-med.JPG357thu7-med.JPG

357teaser3-med.JPG357fri5-med.JPG357fri4-med.JPG357fri3-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

Hundreds of pitons. Forget kb and LA, take 2" angles and up exclusively.

Approach Notes:

See above. Allow at least a week to approach any peaks.

Edited by Dru

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Dru and i'm cool. just to prove it, here's a mysterious TR with beta and useful information.

thinly veiled spray is still spray, dru. acting tough by not giving the full beta download just makes you more of a poser. either don't say shit to anyone, or spill the beans.

okay okay. sorry dru.

anyway, how was the S.Face of Asguard? that route has almost as much beta as anything in the really sweet super useful guidebook! i've head nothing but "good" things about it. how was routefinding? overlap city?

what route did you do on Gladsheim? looks cool. i LOVE this area, forgot about it really. how long of a drive is it again from vancouver? 6 hours?

I'd expect enough snow to prevent climbing but not enough snow to ski by September wink.gif

We didn't do the south face of Asgard, we did the 5.6 SW ridge. And we did the 5.8 Koedt-Rowat route on Gladsheim. As usual the guidebook grades are trustworthy and directly correlate to the technical grades used at other climbing areas. rolleyes.gif