Baker or Shuksan

nolanr

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All winter long, those are probably the two most easily accessible alpine peaks in the North Cascades. The snow park on the south side is not all that far from the Easton Glacier on Mount Baker. For Shuksan, the ski area on the north side is probably less than a mile from the summer trailhead for the Fischer Chimneys, and it IS the trailhead for the White Salmon.

Doh, okay, feeling a little foolish now. I've hiked up the Railroad Grade or whatever that is on the south side, up to all the climbers base camps, wasn't sure how far you could drive up the road this time of year. I figured the Baker Ski area is the best bet for getting close to either. I hiked up to the base of the Coleman last fall, wasn't sure about access on that road either.

Baker via the Easton Glacier can easily be done in a weekend even in the winter/early spring. I climbed/skied it a couple years ago in early April when snow still blocked the road at only about 1800'. It was easy to ski the last 3-5 miles to the trailhead and then on up to the higher camps at the base of the Easton in one day, summit and ski out the next day. It may not be possible to hold to that timeline without skis though...they save a ton of time on this trip. You will have to deal with lots of snowmobilers on the road...but most are very friendly...almost wish I had brought a bike inner-tube & rope to ask for a rope tow up the road by some of the friendlier 'bilers.

• 3 weeks later...