Fairweather & Ascent

mikeadam

Does anyone know who the 2 climbers in Steve Mart's film ascent were/are?

If you've never seen Fairweather & Ascent: Ascent is a cool little ice climbing film made in the 70's and features pscychadelic 70's style mood enhancing music while 2 guys rappel into slots and climb out using aid techniques. I wanna say it was filmed on Baker, but the panorama at the end always throws me off. Does anyone know what mountain that was filmed on?

Fairweather is a film about an expedition to the Fairweather range involving 4 local Washington climbers that ended in tragedy. You can read about the climb in Jim Wickwire's book "addicted to danger". The film itself is excellent.

Mike

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Seattle Public Library has the Fairweather film. It's pretty surreal in parts... at the end, there's a long shot of Wickwire walking, alone, pulling his sled across the glacier, and the narrator saying something about the grimness of being the only survivor. But who was filming it?

It's also got a ten-minute short of a climb of "a cascade peak" with no narration, no talking, nothing but the sound of climbers huffing and puffing.

Steve Marts was the photographer for both films but never appears on film or gets mentioned in the narration.

The short film attached at the end of "Fairweather" is the film "Ascent". The narration says "Mountaineering lingers on the fine edge of tragedy".

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: mikeadam ]

I know what you mean about the cameraman problem AlpineTom. Have you ever seen the film of Catherine Destivelle on Devils Tower? She starts off by rope soloing El Matador and half way up a bight of rope catches in the gri gri she has set up to blay her. Camera zooms in on the bight of rope not pulling through and she "decides" to untie and free solo to the top.

I'm sitting there thinking - "why doesn't the camera man just reach over and undo that bight?" confused.gif" border="0