Help with my crampons?!

scheissami

I recently purchased some Grivel Air Tech step-in crampons, and I'm having a horrible time trying to move the toe bail back to the second slot. The problem is that the toe bail wire is super burly. Does anyone have any slick solution to this problem, or do I pretty much need a vise and a file to just annihilate the wire till I can manipulate it around?

All suggestions welcome. Cheers.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for the Airtech crampons specifically, but on my G14's there was a little tab on the toebail just past where they met with the crampon. The hole where the toebail enters the crampon is actually a slot, and the toebail has to be rotated so that the tabs line up with the slots. I was able to pull it out by hand, but a large screwdriver might help you out.

If I understand the problem correctly, you're having trouble pulling the bail out of the slot?

The easiest method, but it requires 2 people, is to get one person to stand on the crampon behind the bail (near the centre - ideally on a piece of wood), while you pull it out using a quickdraw girth-hitched around the base of the bail.

Otherwise, still use the girth-hitched QD, but either hold the crampon in the opposite hand or pin it to the floor with your knee.

Cheers,

GB

Had same problem with my G14s. As stated above, make sure tabs are lined up, and then use a screwdriver as a lever (assuming you don't mind scratching them up a bit!!) - or actually, I had more luck using the claw side of a hammer as a lever. I definitely was not able to get them out using a draw or cord or anytihng like that and just pulling.

This is exasperating--now I have the toe bail out, but cannot get it back in....am I a gimp, or is there some secret method to get the bail in? It seems like the bail has to go down through the slot, but there's no room for it to wiggle through....scheisse!!!

Hammer it. Seriously. Forget wiggling - make sure the bail is oriented correctly with the hole (the hole is oval shaped, and the bail is flattened along one axis) and take a hammer to it. You won't hurt your crampons. Also it is easier if you do it one side at a time, ie, just line up the bail/hole on the side you are hammering in, and let the otehr side of the bail go wherever - NOT in the hole on the other side. I guarantee you can do it, it is just a humongous pain. And I hope that once you get the bail moved, it is indeed where you want it!!!