Alpine stairmaster

Rad

West Mac spire, Forbidden, Eldorado, Sloan, Mt Stuart, Mt Constance, Dragontail, and others.

Do you want to climb these Cascade classics in a day from car to car? If so, you should probably spend more time working on your cardiovascular fitness levels than crimping on plastic. How do you keep fit?

Never one to spend much time in gyms, I seek outdoor cardio-workouts that have the following elements:

Minimal driving hassle, no major bushwhacking, a steep and non-technical route, killer views, no crowds, a good swimming hole near the finish, and, of course, beautiful alpine terrain.

We're so lucky to have lots of local spots that fit the bill.

fruit.gif

Two of my recent favorites:

1 - Baring mountain summit via the scramble route from the Barclay Lake trailhead (class 2+). 3800 feet of vertical gain in 2 miles. There is no maintained trail. Get out of the creekbed quickly and gain 1800 feet in the first half mile! Intermission is a half mile of moss-laden narrow forested ridgecrest with views through the tall trees. Then ascend more steep pine needles, a nice talus field, and continue up to the summit. Pros: You probably won't meet anyone after you leave the trailhead, no trail means more of a wilderness ambience, and the views are outstanding from the summit. Almost all of the steep climbing is in the shade! I wore sneakers and shorts and came away with nary a scratch. Cons: no water/fluids after you leave the creek down low. My unverified time to the summit: 2:14. Lactic-ass-id burns forced rests up high. You'll probably be under 2 hrs. The cliff looks steep enough for base jumping, which would spare the knees the descent. Swim at Eagle falls and check out the local teen scene, brah!

2 - Denny creek trailhead to the summit of Kaleetan via the S ridge scramble (class 2/3). 4000 feet of vertical gain over 5 miles from trailhead to summit. Pros: there's an excellent trails so you can wear running shoes and run much of the way if you like. You are near water almost the entire way so you don't need to carry it. Cons: this is a mid-week outing as the trail can be very crowded. Also, the route is not as steep as some. My jogging time to the summit: 2:27 (No Fido timers available). Swimming hole: Denny creek near where the road crosses the last bridge.

What are your favorites?

(Don't say Si or Rainier yellowsleep.gif).

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Granite Sidewalk on Blueberry Hill comes to mind. Good pools and views as one moves upwards. The drive is a bit further if you are a Seattle dweller, however. The south face of Bald Mtn (access from Deer Creek Road/Mtn Loop) provides a fun 4th/low 5th class solo on nice granite features. Expect ~ 15 minutes of brush (builds mental strength).

wave.gif