London Bombed...Again

bunglehead

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is thread drift--which I acknowledge is completely inappropriate in this forum--but I think it's a little ridiculous that a Londoner is decrying behavior that the British Empire exemplified for over two centuries. Namely, the forced occupation of foreign lands.

How soon they forget.

Not that I disagree with the general terms of his assessment.

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

I think it's a little ridiculous that a Londoner is decrying behavior that the British Empire exemplified for over two centuries. Namely, the forced occupation of foreign lands.

How soon they forget.

You seem to be suggesting that he's criticizing American activities in the Middle East. But in fact, he's pointing the finger squarely at Whitehall. When he says

If at the end of the First World War we had done what we promised the Arabs, which was to let them be free and have their own governments, and kept out of Arab affairs, and just bought their oil, rather than feeling we had to control the flow of oil, I suspect this wouldn't have arisen.
the "we" he refers to is Britain, not the US. At the end of the First World War, it was predominantly Britain, along with France, and the US in only a supporting role, that carved the Middle East up into the jig-saw puzzle we now know and love. There's a good book on the subject I read many many years ago, with a great title - "A Peace To End All Peace". And it's the fall-out from that post-WWI drawing up of mid-East borders that we're finally having to confront. Yes, the US has become a dominant player in the region in the years since WW2, but it was Britain that got the ball rolling in 1918, and that's what Livingstone is tracing the current situation back to. He hasn't "forgotten" anything - he remembers it all too clearly.