[TR] Redoubt- NE Face 7/17/2005

robertm

Climb: Redoubt-NE Face

Date of Climb: 7/17/2005

Trip Report:

Climbers: RobertM, MVS, Der Wanderer

From Der Wanderer...

Trip Report:

MVS, RobertM, and I went in and tackled the face over the usual three days. We hiked all the way to Ouzel Lake on day 1 arriving in about 5.5 hours...pretty stiff approach! We crossed the Depot Glacier from the west about two thirds of the way up. Crossing was fine...looked even more crevasse free higher. Down low (which is clearly visible from the valley below) is very broken. There were some short steep sections of icy snow to reach the base of the ice apron. There are good belays in 'shrunds along the way. The conditions were a bit sloppy in places; we ended up going straight up the middle and hugging the ice on the right for periodic ice screw placements, pickets were useless in long sections, but good at belays. The traverse above the apron was tedious and slow, crossing from snow to rock and back. The final steep snow face was pretty easy - more deep kick stepping with better snow conditions up high.

The final scramble is pretty exposed but solid. We lounged on the summit for a while (30-45 minutes). The descent wasn't all that bad, mostly just slipping on scree and talus and plunge stepping. We returned via the Redoubt Glacier which was easy. We were back at camp about 14 hours after leaving (5am).

Go 'n get it soon.

Gear Notes:

light rack: 3 ice screws, 3 pickets, 3 hexes, set of nuts, 3-4 cams varied widths, lots of slings.

Approach Notes:

Depot Creek was overflowing in spots and we got sprayed good on the slabs in front of the falls. The wet slaps were slick as ice in places (I wore plastic boots) but the holds were all there - kinda hard to take your time while getting pelted by cold water though. The ascent up the falls is steep and tiring. When arriving at the campsites in the bogs at the top of the falls, cut directly across in a beeline to get to the opposite side of the valley to avoid the marshes. There's a nice trail (hard to follow in spots) right on the edge that will take you to a long moraine slog up to the lake. We thought about camping under the face but didn't want to fool with crossing numerous streams and the West Depot Glacier looked broken.

31DSC03838-med.JPG

31DSC03890-med.JPG

31DSC03857-med.JPG

31DSC03862-med.JPG

31DSC03864-med.JPG

31DSC03866-med.JPG

31DSC03869-med.JPG

31DSC03871-med.JPG

31DSC03875-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

a couple of pickets

small rock rack

full shank boots

crampons

hammer and axe

Approach Notes:

good trail via depot creek

Edited by robertm

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet climb guys. I am really hoping to get into that area soon. That looks like the climb to do. You say to go get it soon...think it will be shit on a stick in early August?

Also, I don't see Ouzel lake on the map below the Depot glacier. Is it a new lake exposed from glacier melting or is it unnamed on the map?

-josh

it is actually further up the valley under the redoubt glacier... pretty small. the advantage of camping there is that you can descend the easy route via south side and you are at camp pretty quick (coupla hours +)

August would be challenging as there might be disconnections at the schrunds... I would never say 'out' as there are many that are 'harder' than me but I would think it would be much more difficult.

done... only for you Drew... since you were kind enough to offer us beta. We did beat your camp to summit time. wave.gif

well you could be a wheelchair-bound paraplegic slug and still beat our time up. the soul was caged on that one wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I made a 7 minute "music video" of climbing video from the trip. It is good fun. The music is "techno" so if you would rather hear "The Mamas and the Poppas" or something it might be annoying. I am embarassed to say it is 20 MB, but I couldn't stand an encoding less than that. Perhaps best to download it completely and watch with headphones (high quality sound, 320x240 video).

Enjoy if ye like!

click here