Tips for a Brother's Newb?

undermind

Hello,

Thought I would give the Brothers a shot in a couple of days. I've never attempted it, nor have I been to the Lena Lakes. Any route notes or tips I should know that aren't mentioned in the ONP Climbing guide?

I'm climbing with one other guy. Are you guys roping up this time of year?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in good shape, do it in one day. Sleep in the car, leave around 5:00AM. The trail to Lena is a cruise that you can do in your running shoes. I usually don't boot up until I get into the Valley of Silent Men. I havn't roped up for The Brothers the last six (out of eight) times that I've done them. Days are almost as long as they get, so you'll have lots of daylight.

True, but if you camp at Lena, you can easily get up early and make the summit and still have hours of daylight to get down to camp, then back to your car.

Maybe its just me, but I like camping, if i'm going to go bag a peak with a long approach, i'd rather spend the night, it just makes it more fun!

Well, we did it and had a great time. (aside from the weather.. we got huge amounts of hail and snow on the climb)

A note on the camping.. We thought Lena forks camp was great. I suppose it doesn't have that big open feel that the lake has, but we preferred it over the lake. We had it all to ourselves, and the valley was pretty cool with the mossy boulders and the bubbling creek on both sides. Not gloomy at all.

But I guess the real reason we didn't camp at the lake was that I didn't have my fishing pole. That's torture...

I'll never forget my stay at Lena Lake. After it got dark and they turned the boombox off on the other side of the lake madgo_ron.gif it got real quiet and an owl let loose with a few "hoo hoos" followed by an obviously frightened little girl saying "mommy, I want to go home now" It was funny. yelrotflmao.gif But not my idea of a backpack trip to a lake.

I'll never forget my stay at Lena Lake. After it got dark and they turned the boombox off on the other side of the lake madgo_ron.gif it got real quiet and an owl let loose with a few "hoo hoos" followed by an obviously frightened little girl saying "mommy, I want to go home now" It was funny. yelrotflmao.gif But not my idea of a backpack trip to a lake.

Oh yeah, that's the other reason we passed up the lake.

It was a Monday night and it didn't look like anyone was there, but it definitely pays to get out of day-hiker or daring-car-camper range.