Royal Columns: Anchor on Little Known Wonder

I'm not absolutely certain of the route name, but it is a 5.8 double crack climb. It's a fine route, I would recommend to others.

The anchor I found is like this: two bolts about 24 inches apart, each bolt has a welded cold shut with a length of chain about 8 inches long attached. The chains need to be at least doubled in length, otherwise they are worse than useless. We left some webbing and an aluminum rap ring on it.

It would be great if someone would take care of this next time they visit. All it would take would be two 10" pieces of chain and a pair of quick links.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys like Sobo are out there all the time.

Welllllll, that used to be the case. After this weekend, I'll be getting out there about as much as you, CBS. My banishment to the Oklahoma Dustbowl of Washington begins this weekend, with the Great Migration to the Dry Shitties. tongue.gif

BTW, Little Known Wonder is a 5.7, but stiff for it's grade (as with most old RC trad climbs). Glad you enjoyed it. thumbs_up.gif

There's a climb I did last summer that i've never figured out what it was (likely in the 5.7+range) out at RC, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

It was on the climbers right hand side of the area. Two cracks on either side of a column, one offwidth, one thin-fingers/pro only. At the top transitioned to a few face moves, then finished on a bit set of chains, on the pillar just left of the left hand crack. I think on the next face over from the pillar there was quite old fixed hex (different route though). Haven't seen Ford and Yoder but was curious. Need climb, knee jams and arm bars followed by sketcy face moves to protect in the other crack as I only had 1 big cam smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Just got the guide book and it's actually called Double Trouble. The "5.5" finish goes straight up the crack on the left, i'm guessing to a gear anchor, but with a redirect the bolts on the 5.9 just to the right make a nice top rope anchor. It still gets a big 5.5 my moon.gif though.

Oh, and First Blood is not a fist crack unless your 6'4", 250 lbs with hands to match! That thing is offwidth more than anything else.