hell's canyon

thelawgoddess

The road to Dug Bar seemed a little rough to me. And long. Of course it was dark and I wasn't exactly sure of where I was or where I was going, so that didn't help. A trail that started there immediately left the river and went up through some dry hills. I eventually got back down to the river and was going to enjoy the peace and scenery...except noisy power boats went by at 5 minute intervals. They actually looked shocked to see someone on foot in the canyon. Instead of taking the trail back to the parking lot, I just rambled along the river. I've never seen so many spiders and spider webs in my life, they were everywhere. I had to carry a little stick to clear the webs out of my way as I went. I thought the Imnaha River and canyon a little south of there was prettier scenery.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hells canyon is great hiking in the spring, but by June you really have to watch the weather. It can be brutal from June on, reaching temps above 114 F. This year it has been mild compared to most years ( I live next to hells canyon). It was really warm last weekend, mem day, over 100. I was going to hike with some friends, but bailed out and went to the wallowas instead. I talked with them later, they hiked into Kirkwood ranch, on the Idaho side, and had very hot temps.. They also flung two rattlesnakes off the trail with their ski poles.. Bass fishing was good thougH!.

Honestly, the best way to see hells canyon is to raft. But there are some good trails. Like I said, it is a bit late to really enjoy them, but if you are seeking dry warm weather, it might work.

Pittsburg landing is a short drive from Hwy 95, Whitebird Idaho area, and is open year round. It goes over a saddle and right down to the river. You can hike up six miles to the Kirkwood ranch historical site, or continue all the way up to Granite rapids, one of the class five rapids up river. This trail is easy to follow, and goes almost 30 miles. Beach camping is easy along the way, and you will encounter less jet boats that far up.

Dug bar is a bad road, and most people do not drive it. There are trails in there.

The Imnaha trail is flat and east, goes in on the Oregon side, and is about five miles. It goes to a nice beach area to Eureka bar, an old mining claim. There are really no trails once you hit the snake river, but it is a nice place to hang out.

Hat point may or may not be open. It is over 6000 ft and is usually snowy this time of year. It may be open though due to the mild winter. I once hike from there down sluice creek to the snake in July. It almost killed me, the heat that is. 5500 foot drop, and climb out again. It must have been 120 degrees, and the 10 mile hike was brutal. I met some German hikers that were almost crawling.

There are rattlesnakes there. The snake and grande ronde rivers are famous for them. There is poison ivy everywhere, black widows, thistles, stickery bushes, high heat, everything out to get you.

Why do I hike there? Well, it is awesome on the river, usually quiet, good swimming, fishing, very remote.

Myself and two co-workers set 70,000 acres of Hells Canyon aflame one fine afternoon in the summer of '96 in a successful attempt to prevent rampant forest fires from crossing over the rim (again) into vast (millions) acreage on the Oregon side.

Every work day should be so enjoyable.