LIVE Sattelite Feed: whitehorse avalanche fun

gapertimmy

Whitehorse, Darrington WA

3/10/2001

team cascadeclimbers.com (tim and jon) decided to go for the early season favorite of whitehorse today. their up to the minute trip report has been sent to cascadeclimbers.com headquarters via a live sattelite feed sponsored by qUerKeA torts impersion. cut the marketing here's the report:

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

TIM: After a full night of closet tweaking, i finally got into the sack around 12am. I knew i had to pick up jon at 5, but figured i could sleep in and be late, because his arse is always late to pick me up tongue.gif So I got to his house at 5:15, and our adventure began.

JON: When tim picked me up, a very odd stench filled his truck. I couldn't quite figure out what the smell exactly was, but it was mix between dirty bannana hamock drawerz fust and schmidt. This was going to be a long ride to darrington.

TIM: I really don't like Everett. No offense, but it is my least favorite part of going to the N. Cascades.

JON: I like McDonalds. The warm site of the arches brings goose bumps to my skin, and a rumble to my stomach. I persauded Tim to pull over in Smokey Point so we could commence in a pre-emptive mass chubafest.

TIM: This was by far the most interesting trip to McDonalds, ever. Our order was taken by a young cooed who strangely resembled Jon's current obssession, Britney Spears. I figured this was a good sign, and knew that everything from this point on was going to be plab.

JON: Super Delux breakfast platters are might tasty, and give my body the feul I need to climb without bonking. Our dining experience was accompanied by some tasy Salsa tunes blaring over the loudspeakers. Tim and I were waiting for the dancers to come poppping out of the ball maze and ask us if we'd like more chips and salsa.

TIM: So I figure we should really get to the trip report Jon, querkea is paying good money for this sat-phone.

JON: Yeah I guess so

WHILLHANS: TRUE TRUE

TIM/JON: Who the hell was that guy???

TIM: I don't know, but he scares the hell out of me.

JON: OK, so we got onto the trail A(Niederpum) at 8am, and the trail really kicked my arse for the first 1/2 hour.

TIM: Sally.

JON: But we got to the snow slope that lead up to Lone Tree Pass in no time.

TIM: There was snow on the first avalanche slope, but not a whole lot, besides that the trail was nice and steep, and in good shape.

JON: Luckily we brought our snow shoes, because we were post holin to all hell heading up to Lone Tree.

TIM: Luckily, for Jon, I broke trail the whole time tongue.gif

<JON sheds some tears>

JON: While hiking up, the sun attempted to peak out, but the fog prevailed, and engulfed the whole mountain.

TIM: We felt as if we were in the classic movie filmed on Whitehorse, I forgot what its called, but it felt like that.

JON: We spoted AVALANCHE debris in the gully leading to lone tree pass. The debris were very fresh, too fresh for our likings.

TIM: Seeing this, we decided to chub again, and wait for the fog to clear. We engaged in pleasant coversation about the virtues of torts impersion, by querka (sorry for the plug)

JON: While chubbing we heard another avalance rip down the slopes above, and we decided that this wasn't fun anymore. It began to snow, and the durs were running for cover.

TIM: Since I am a total sally, I proclaimed that I feel like a fair-weathered climber today, and don't feel like triggering off a slide and thus burying myself and missing next weeks all new Dawson's Creek on the WB.

JON: You are such a tool.

TIM: I know.

JON: So we hiked out and ran into a party of three (with threee dogs) without snow shoes or axes. We sprayed them with our warnings and tales of avalanche risk ahead, but they were unfazed.

TIM: dude.

WHILLHANS: True, True.

TIM: Go away dude!

JON: That is all from the field, we will be submitting our next report soon. Please stay tuned to cascadeclimbers.com

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

End of transmission

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I thought it was Tokka Smoke Submersion. Whatever.

Full Report:

The NWAC reported moderate avalanche danger, on mostly northeast and southeast slopes. Driving into Darrington it appeared as if the weather might cooperate with us. The weather report was for mostly sunny, but I was very skeptical. I’ve lost faith in Steve Pool and pretty much take the average of about 5 reports now. The sun was breaking through the clouds and everything except the upper most part of Whitehorse was visible. After contemplating whether we should bring the snowshoes or not we left the car at 8 pm. After reaching the snow I was very glad we brought the snowshoes. The first 30 minutes of the Niederprum trail kicked my butt. I’ve been sick for the last couple of weeks, plus the fact that you start straight up without warming the muscles up didn’t help either.

We first reached snow at the first rock gully crossing (2800 ft ?). There was enough snow that the brush was mostly buried which helped in crossing. The second gully leading up to Lone Tree Pass was completely covered, and was fairly easy to ascend, especially when Tim broke trail the whole time, which he actually didn’t. The snow was very hard with saturated crystals and was a result of rain/warming then overnight cooling after the latest snowfall. Following Tim I noticed there were small slabs two to three inches thick with a light sliding layer underneath. Higher in the gully where we able to see where we were to cross to ascend to the pass and noticed a pretty large debris path We decided to skirt the gully on the right partially through the trees and enter higher up. Closer examination of the debris revealed that it was a pretty recently slide, likely within the last 24 hours. About this time the fog rolled in and not before long visibility sucked and it was snowing lightly so we got under a tree and to wait it out and have a bite to eat (Just below 4400 ft). While talking about Britney, the ethnic music at Mickey D’s, and moving to Bend we heard a rumbler higher up on Whitehorse. Between not being able to see crap and not wanting to get buried we decided to turn around. I was just glad to get outside, though I feel like crap again. Where’s the Sudafed…..

[This message has been edited by jon (edited 03-10-2001).]

can i get sponsered?

some of your t.n.f. friends were taking satalite panaroma pics and pounding pins in on the 1st pitch of zodiac last time i saw you guys. sounds like you got better. is britney working for you now?

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 03-13-2001).]

welcome to the team bra. you first assignment is to ski shishapangma backwards naked (well except for the satalite linked helmet cam). i just need your social security number to take out the life insurance policy, you know, in case something happens. the only thing i like about tnf is their bend store where things are hella cheap. if britney was working for us, i'm pretty sure it would be a different kind of website. rodchester would be a business partner for shur. we'd call it www.cascadep%$n.com. alex would register .org and mike would register .net at point it to his own site, alpinep%&n.com.

i alreay ski shisapangma, but i didn't used ski and had on a translucent biometric suit. i have the footage on my personal website. obnoxioustacomapersonwithanattitude.com

it's a great website full of spray and non-iformative beta, like the south buttress of the east ridge on brdge creek dome.