Questions about Maroon Bells

ajm

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the bells are easy 5th. Nice views and fun easy climbing on so-so rock. Be prepared for hordes of tourists.

If you are sporto, Rifle is supposed to be the shizzle.

There is someplace called RMNP that may have some climbing. You should check it out.

My sister lives in Aspen. Tell her I said hi.

I will be in CO for a few days in June and was hoping to go out to the Maroon Bells/ Aspen area. Does anyone know of some good climbing in the area? grin.gif

It depends what kind of climbing you are looking for.

For wildly exposed alpine scrambling on 14,000' peaks, you can't beat the Elk Range, which is where the Bells are located. The climbing on them is mostly 3rd and 4th class, as the rock is too chossy to put up any significant 5th class routes. The traverse between the two Bells is one of the classic climbs in Colorado and you don't even need a rope, especially if you go south to north. The Bell Cord Couloir is a classic snow climb at least through June. There are a couple technical rock routes on nearby Capitol Peak, plus another classic 4th class scramble route.

In Rocky Mountain National Park (which is nowhere near Aspen) you can find some fine alpine technical climbs, culminating on the classic lines up the Longs Peak Diamond Face.

Get the book "Colorado's Fourteeners: from Hikes to Climbs" by Gerry Roach. It is the most popular of several guidebooks detailing what is available.

If you want technical rock climbing that doesn't involve high alpine routes, head for Boulder. Rifle, mentioned above, is more a sport-oriented area, but closer to Aspen, further west out I-70.

Edited by Maestro

Thanks, I actually used to live in Boulder and spent a lot of time climbing in RMNP and Boulder, Morrison, Longs Peak, etc. For whatever reason I never really made it to Aspen. Thanks for the advice.. I will look into the Traverse.