beal Joker

letsroll

Has anybody tried this rope? I was looking at getting two 60 m for a twin set-up for alpine snow and rock. Want to get a very light rope that I will use next winter for ice climbing (hence the twin set-up). Are there other ropes I should be looking at?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Beal and I don't care for it. The problem is that the sheath frayed here and there right away. Even though it is superficial and the core is fine, I don't like looking at it and wondering if I want to trust my life to it. I won't get another one. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a pair of Jokers (some pun intended) and am pleased thus far. As far as using them to save weight, that is not the way to go. You can certainly get a lighter setup for double or twin use. Doubles down to 8.1 or twins at 7.5 or so would certainly save weight. As a single though they're great for anything you don't plan on falling on but you just might. I got the Jokers because you get 25 falls as twins and 20 as doubles and I'm a big dude (250lbs.) and like having the extra diameter. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when quivering over gear or manky bolts. I know some folks will climb on one Joker and say an Iceline for use as doubles, giving you a little extra beef. Anyways, hope that helps.