Laptop recs?

layton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few websites oriented towards bargain shopping with an emphasis on electronics. www.gotapex.com lists current public dell coupons, and on occasion you can find a good deal. www.fatwallet.com forums posts more obscure deals, but often better. These deals sometimes involve weird price matching and stuff, but are often really good. I personally think Dell, when purchased with coupons and specials, offers the best frequent deals possible. You can get one suitable for everything but editing for less than $600 on a good day, and you can get a higher performing widescreen for around $1000. Basically, set a budget, then start checking these forums daily (or more often as some deals get pulled if dell realizes they over discounted). Within a week or two, you will find a good deal. Also, check previous posts in the past week or two to ensure that you are getting a competitive price.

check this thread for example (crazy cheap refurbs)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=520&catid=18&threadid=465184

Edited by TrogdortheBurninator

For video editing you will need as much RAM as you can afford with a decent processor and a big screen. The big wide aspect screen will cost a bit, but it will also make watching DVDs much better. For DVD watching you need a DVD drive tongue.gif and not much more. I would expect that if you want to edit video you will also want to burn DVDs so get a combo burner that writes +/-R and RW. For storing piles of music files you will need a big hard drive and for playing them you will like a higher RPM drive. I would get a Dell. They work really well, their support and service is by far the best that I have found and their prices are really good. I think an Insipron with 1-2 GB of RAM (all that you can afford), I would got for the Centrino system, but all that is really important is the Pentium M processor and a wireless card that works on 802.11G. Then I would get the biggest hard drive that you have money left to buy. If it isn't as big as you wanted you can get an external hard drive for cheap and use that. I just built an Inspiron 6000 as decribed above for $1,635. That is a good place to start price wise.

Also consider that you dont have to store all your data on your hard drive. In fact, if you are getting a laptop I highly highly recommend you absolutely do not get in the habit of storing all your data on it. Use an external USB drive to do regular backups, or burn DVDs of your data and music regularly, etc. If your hard drive goes down in flames (common in laptops), you will cry a river if you didnt take some appropriate precautions.