trango s evo gtx

letsroll

Right now I climb in the Nepal Extreams year round. Looking for a good summer, and much lighter boot. For right now I am leaning towards the Trango s evo gtx. Are they going to be ridged enough for crampons? THey did not feel stiff enough in the soles for crampons, would that be better for rock? THe other boots I was looking at was the Trango extream s, or then trango exteram evo gtx. What are peoples thoughts? I know they have no insulation, but I am looking for light weight summer boot that my foot will not sweat out in 5 minutes.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Garmont Tower. Goretex, very similar. Stiff enough for flexible crampons, don´t sweat that much on approachs, fairly durable. Don´t know if it can be resoled. Pleased withit. Aside from, lkke all lined boots, it ends up stinking to high hell.

another vote for the Garmont Tower GTX. These things are great. The only caveat is you would not want to do much frontpointing with them--they're not stiff enough for that.

I had the 1st gen Trangos and didn't like them at all. too stiff to walk in, but not at all waterproof. They also fit really wide which is a bad thing for me and my low vol feet. I heard the new generation models are better, though.

just to be sure, your saying the upper of the boot was not stiff enough for frontpointing, and not the sole.

A little of both. The sole is stiff enough to kick steps but is not a rigid platform like the nepals. Upper is more flexible too. You could lace em up really tight for something short and steep but sustained frontpointing would not be fun.

Crampons on tenny runners is fine for low angle frozen snow but is major PIA for anything sort of steep or when your in soft mushy stuff. Plus your feet get all soaking wet which is all unpleasant like.

There have been thousands of post on the Trango S's. The only difference is now they (EVOs) are waterproof. You might try doing a search for "lightweight boots" or "Trango S".

I speak of the Trango S's. You won't find a lighter mountaineering boot. They climb rock like a champ. And they aren't too expensive compared to the NE. They are plenty stiff for their designed use/type of climbing. But there are more comfortable boots to hike in (obvioulsy).