Marmot Pounder ?

soggyendo34

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been really interested in this bag, too. On the scale, it does weigh in at a pound, and the tag says it has 11 oz of insulation. Compared to the 35-degree REI primaloft bag (which has like 20 ounces of primaloft) hanging next to the Pounder at the Flagship, the Pounder seems like a travelsheet. But REI tends to be rather conservative when rating their bags. The R&I review said they felt it was more of a 55-degree bag, which probably seems about right. Regardless, I think it's a sweet setup and I'm considering buying one. The next time I sleep outside (which won't be for awhile... damn still-broken ankle) I'm going to try and take one out, I'll let you know what I think.

I used the bag for a week in Arizona Mar 19-25 thinking it would be warm in the high desert. It wasn't and I supplemented the bag's insulation by wearing a down jacket. On the warmer nights 35-40 I did unzip the bag. On the coldest night 28, I still slept pretty good.

Two words...Western Mountaineering bigdrink.gif

Yeah, I've got 1 pound WM bag and it kicks ass. It's much warmer than the 40 degrees they claim.

If you are looking specifically for synthetic due to it's weather "resistence" then I'm not sure what good a paper thin ineffective bag is going to do, even if it does hold up to the wet a bit better than down.