[TR] Mt Hood- Hogsback 3/4/2005

barjor

Climb: Mt Hood-Hogsback

Date of Climb: 3/4/2005

Trip Report:

Wasn’t really sure if I wanted to hike to the summit or not bout decided to go up and see what it looked like. I never hiked on Mt Hood before and some part of me thought it would be fun to have done it. Drove up Thursday evening and arrived at the parking lot at around 11:00 pm and was looking around and filled in the climbing report. Crawled in the back of the truck at around midnight and slept for a couple of hours. Cooked breakfast and hit the slopes at about 3AM. People are not kidding when they say the ski slopes are boring to hike. I missed my sleeping bag and wasn’t really all that excited. Was really thinking about turning around at Silcox hut but I kept trudging along. Saw a couple of lights ahead of me and the sunrise was also pretty cool. At around 9000 (?) I meet a group of 3 other climbers and I stayed behind them and enjoyed the landscape that was getting pretty cool once we left the ski area. We where taking our time stopping to look around. Conditions were fantastic except some ice in the pearly gate. The woman and I did the right side and the other two guys took the left side. Comparing notes I think we had equal conditions. When we got to the summit it was two climbers already there. They where waiting to head down the gates once we cleared out of the way. It was nice of them to wait for us. Took some photos on the summit and was heading down. Two of the guys skied from the summit and the third skied from the bottom of the hogs back where she had left her pack. Looked like they had great fun and I am sure it was a lot better then slogging down as I had to do. The snow was getting pretty annoying as I was getting down to the ski area. Once down at the parking lot everything looked like a Tivoli with cars and people everywhere. I will never do this hike on a weekend. So to sum it up it was my first hike up Hood and from what I can tell the conditions could not have been better. Nice snow all the way up and I meet a total of 5 people on the whole hike. Would like to thank the 3 climbers that let me tag along, made the day more fun for me and Strider. 6886DCP_2027.JPG

6886DCP_1993.JPG

6886DCP_1996.JPG

6886DCP_2001.JPG

6886DCP_2005.JPG

Edited by barjor

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic