[TR] Hyalite Canyon- 2/27/2005

iceslut

Climb: Hyalite Canyon-

Date of Climb: 2/27/2005

Trip Report:

for all those folks in the NW looking for ice, hyalite canyon outside of bozeman montucky still has plenty of ice. the weather this weekend was absolutely fabulous and there are a myriad of climbs that are still FAT. relaxin' to grippin'. one i would highly recommend right now is the scepter (WI 5-, 100'). get out of oregon and washington and visit the gallatin nat'l forest! it did me a hell of a lot of good!

Approach Notes:

drive to TH

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

my partner (the general), took all the photos, as he is a just-less-than-professional photographer. i will have to wait for him to cough 'em up. as far a TR goes, we went there and stayed at the window rock cabin 0.5 mile from the trailhead. i had never stayed there before and i would recommend it with one caveat - the wood stove leaves a little to be desired. i have operated many a wood stove in my lifetime and this one has issues. that said, we were there to climb ice and had no expectations of warmth. the night of arrival we decided that we could not wait until the next day, so we drove to the trailhead at 10 pm and hiked 15 minutes to the genesis 1 area. there are some shorter WI 2-3 climbs that were just perfect for a nighttime warm-up by headlamp. we climbed for the next two days - mostly on WI 3-4 routes. one popular route worth mentioning that we never got to is hangover, it looks good and fat. i had never used leashless tools before this weekend, and after climbing the scepter with them, i am a solid convert. in conclusion, if you can get there, go. i also heard from my montucky crew that ice around cody wyoming is goin' off....