Best crampons for La Sportiva Nuptse

rvilter

I'm looking for opinions on which crampons might work best with La Sportiva Nupte - size 12. I have concerns that the toe bail or heel clamp on some crampons might be too narrow.

I'm looking primarily for general mountaineering crampons, which, on occasion, would be used for climbing vertical/near vertical ice.

I'm focused at the moment on Sabretooth's and G-14.

Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Nuptse / Sabretooth combo and they work fine. The crampons tend to flex quite a bit (or so people who watch me climb say) but they stay on the boot. I climbed a 1000 foot mixed ridge in the Alps followed by 5 or 6 pitches of WI 3 or 4 and the combo worked great. It takes a bit of fiddling to get them dialed in correctly but I can go all day without an adjustment.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased the Sarkens via mail order (I live in the Midwest and we don't have any shops in town that sell crampons). I ordered them with extender bars and they don't fit my size 47 Nuptse's. They are long enough (supposedly up to size 50's) but the heel bail doesn't fit the groove in the back of the boots. The company I purchased them from was going to call Petzl for advice. I'll post any replies if they have any information.

Thanks to both for your replies. I too have the leverlock, and I've been having problems fitting the heel. The bail coming down alongside the boot hits the lug. I wonder if the bail needs to be "widened" a bit. I don't know.

I had been assuming that this was operator error - now I'm not so sure. I'd look forward to hearing the feedback that you get.

Bob

I'm not excited about cutting the lugs on a pair of $440 boots...I'm still searching for crampons that fits before I resort to this option. I have the Sarken Sidelock and I'm curious if the Leverlock would work better with the Nuptse's. Has anyone tried the Leverlock which has a different heel mechanism?

I've had a litte better luck fitting the Sarkens. True, the lug has a tendency to get "caught" under the side bar, but with a little manipulation, the side bar can be pushed over the side of the lug. Easy to do in the parking lot, for sure, but on a climb, might be a pain.

Take a look at the lever lock style of Sarkens rather than the side lock (or whatever its called). See the link below.

Bob

http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/Product.cfm?id=148

• 2 weeks later...