Backstay pocket blow-out: Osprey Finesse

sobo

Sooooooo, the little pocket thingie where the end of the backstay hoop inserts blew out on me last month. It looks to be a PITA to try and fix at home (disassembly/reassembly of backstay looks complicated, material too thick to stitch, etc.).

Is this a typical failure for this pack? Anybody else have it happen, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

To clarify, it's the big hoop that goes around the outside rear of the pack sack proper and threads thru a bunch of webbing loops, not the stay inside the pack. And I've had the pack for about 4 or 5 years, with regular use, if that makes a difference.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I had that same thing happen on my Flyte. It's about 8 years old and has seen a lot of use though, including two trips back to Osprey (when I tore a shoulder strap off and blew a couple buckles). Mine blew in Kyrgyzstan after a 20km ride on a donkey. I temporarily fixed it with a bunch of ducktape stitched into place. The backstay hoop on mine is removable through the inside of the pack, only took a few mins, a bit harder to put back in but manageable. It was a lot of work to stitch through that stuff but it can be done, a speedy stitcher would probably work well. I just haven't had enough time since I got back in August to get it fixed as I have other packs. I don't know if I could convince Osprey to do it on warranty again.

It's of value for the mfrs to see how their gear fail, so I'm guessing they would fix it no problemmo, 'specially if it's a current item for them. I tried to look on the Osprey website but did not see it. I was curious if your pack is similar in frame design to the Mountainsmith Ghost, because I have seen a Ghost with the exact type of blowout you describe.

• 4 months later...

Was looking for something else and I came upon this old thread of mine. I sent the pack back via the local dealer in Crackima (Hyperspud Sports). Osprey fixed it up lickety split, all nice and super-reinforced and stuff, and they did the same to the side that hadn't blown out yet. All for only 9 clams (the price of shipping it to them - free return shipping). I thought it was well done work, and good customer service. Hats off to John at the 'spud for helping me "git 'er done" and to the folks at Osprey. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

PS: allison, regarding your reply about how manufacturers like to see how their gear fails: I see where they don't make this pocket thingie like mine anymore. The newer versions have it set up with a different system to reduce stress at the end of the backstay hoop. So someone must have brought this type of failure to their attention a while ago, and it took a little while longer for mine to go kaput. Mebbe it means I need to get out more.... blush.gif