Integral Designs Sil Shelter

johndavidjr

I'm definitely buying this.

My question is unseasonable, and have probably asked before in a different context, but has anybody used a floorless, netless tent in moderate-to-severe mosquito conditions? If so, how much protection did it afford? I considered bringing one to ONP last summer, but at last minute took mini tent instead, and in the end, was glad for netting while camping in alpine swamp... The Sil Shelter (one pound, squeeze two people) can be closed off by overlapping front flaps and I'm sure is fine for fall through spring... but I'd be interested if somebody says they used something like this effectively for insect protection... Or the reverse..

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slept with a buddy in his sil-shelter on Sloan Peak two years ago. I was in an alpine meadow with a stream, but in the evening the bugs came out. They bothered my buddy quite a bit, but me not so much. Several years ago I was using a megamid under similar conditions, and I burned a mosquito coil in the tent to keep it clear during the evening hours when the bugs were bad. Did not use coil while we slept, and that system was quite effective.

I had a Megamid in the pickets durring a hatch. I pitched it on the flat area of snow atop a gully and nailed the fabric onto the snow. I slept, peed, ate, and melted water w/o leaving the Megamid and so w/o getting drained of blood by mosquitos.

I just purchased (used) a Chouinard Pyramid. The previous owner would often set it up just for lunch for his (wife) and himself. I like these set-ups, esp for below tree-line.