[TR] Alpental ice- practice cliffs 1/15/2005

Alpine_Tom

Climb: Alpental ice-practice cliffs

Date of Climb: 1/15/2005

Trip Report:

Alex Mineev and I went out on Saturday to try out the ice at Alepental. We got to the pass by about 9:00, and the sign over the freeway displayed a balmy 11 degrees.

We planned to start off on the area "Washington Ice" calls the practice cliffs (I think, I don't have the book in front of me) the gully between Guye and Snoqualmie peak.

The ice was in pretty good shape, but the snow was hellacious! The least consolidated snow I've ever slogged through -- not even powder, a sugar snow that seemed to drain from beneath our feet.

The gully is about six moderately steep (wi3?) steps, 15-30 feet high, with longish flat spots in between. The flat sections were pretty deep in snow. The top step was only about 15 feet high but the best ice of the day.

The ice was really variable: sometimes really hard, sometimes really rotten where it was exposed, but where it had a few inches of snow over it, it was almost slushy. So, getting onto the ice was the hardest part -- finding someplace that would take crampons.

Still it was a fun day -- thanks to the authors of the guidebook! bigdrink.gif

We were able to rappel down what we couldn't downclimb from trees and branches.

Here are a couple of Alex's digital photos.

IMGP1141.JPG

IMGP1142.JPG

Gear Notes:

I had my old Stubai steel ice tool and a little Grivel 3rd tool; Alex had twin Grivel wings.

Approach Notes:

Great -- ten minutes from the car. Couldn't make it without snowshoes.

Edited by Alpine_Tom

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It was great climbing with you Tom! For both of us it was first time climbing on water ice grin.gif

Few little corrections wink.gif

The route is called Practice Gully. It had 4 WI2 steps. The one on the pictures is the first one and probably the easiest. The final 5th step was vertical curtain 15-25 feet high (depends on which side you start). Tom leaded the right side and I followed on belay the left side. This last step was the best. The whole climb took from 4 to 5 hours.

bigdrink.gif

I hope this was not the last time in the season... rolleyes.gif

Alpental parking lot, where the bridge fell down.

There was a guy up there in the parking lot, directing traffic. He didn't hassle us at all, even though we obviously didn't have skis or snowboards, and asked him where the bathrooms were.

One interesting event -- I put in a screw, which cracked the ice a bit, you could see the crack deep in the ice. Alex assured me it was probably okay, so I went ahead and climbed up, my tool popped off, and I fell in the screw -- and it held!fruit.gif

I really enjoyed myself. Thanks, Alex! bigdrink.gif

I also had one titanium screw and it sucked this time.

I had to apply a lot of force while screwing it in. Ice cracked a lot and when I jumped on it the screw poped off with chunks of ice. hellno3d.gif

The best screws in terms of friction were BD, then Omega Pacific, then titanium.

On the other hand I used this titanium on NR Baker and it worked fine. Probably this can be explained by the difference between solid water ice and airy glacier ice... confused.gif

Tom brought a couple alluminium(!) army ice screws cantfocus.gif They of course did not work at all, but looked very cool smile.gif