colorado climbing guide

Alasdair

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want something to hold in your hand then go with Colorado Ice Climber's Guide by Cameron M. Burns. good stuff.

amazon has them used for like $9+

and,,yeah, climbingboulder.com covers allot more than boulder. useful,semi current beta too

The Roberts Guide is better.

The best Colorado guide (although it doesn't cover Vail) is the "San Juan Ice Climbs" by Charlie Fowler. If only because it's a hand written photocopy and says "Over 150 climbs! Sketchy Details! Scare Yourself!" on the front cover. You can just see the Mountaineers publishing that!

If you are looking into hitting some ice, check out the Mt. Lincoln/Hoosier Pass Icefall (1-70 --> 9 to Breckenridge --- S on 9 over Hoosier Pass --- Right turn towards the Resevoir Obvious Icefall below Mt. Lincoln.). Not that much further away from Vail and deserted most weekdays. 1-2 (60M) pitch stuff, with pitches ranging from WI2+ to IV+V-. More or less zero avy hazard.

If you are pondering rock at all, Shelf Road has hundreds of limestone routes, with many South facing aspects that permit climbing in a T-shirt even in the depths of winter. Also an amazing view down a Jolly Green Giantesque Valley to the Sangre's in the distance. Also lots of stuff in the Park that might be in.

Oh, by the way, if you do want to ski, Garts Sports, REI, and King Soopers sell discounted lift tickets in Denver. I think you save around $20.

No interest what so ever in a discounted ticket that still costs $50. I will skin up to the top of the first lift and ski free the rest of the day if I decide to ski at all.