Question about Adams in the winter

barjor

Well it looks like the weather will be fairly ok this upcoming weekend and my tent are getting dusty. I was thinking about go out and spend the night at the lunch counter on the south route on Mt Adams. I have a hard time to decide if I should make a go for the summit or stop at the counter. I have hiked the summit in the summer but I am not sure what to expect from the slope up to Pikers peak in the winter. Is this slope prone to avalanches? Are there any other dangers on Adams that wasn't there in the summer, more then the obvious winter and cold hazards? How about crevasses on the summit cap, I would do this solo (with dogs)?

Edited by barjor

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the weather is good, the av hazard is good, and you are fit, go for it. You will feel real stupid (and die) if the av hazard is bad and your dogs set off a slide that kills you though.

The South slope is prone to avalances by the headwall there around 11k. But otherwise completely soloable. The summit of Adams does not have crevasses that I've seen from the South. The route is commonly soloed year round. (If you continute N, there are some as you top out on NNW face and Adams Gl however).

• 4 weeks later...

IMHO: You should learn about avalanches before climbing or traveling in the back country where any avalanche possibility might exist. If you don't know whether or not the avy conditions are safe you should learn what you need to know to make those calls on your own. This means you are continually assessing the snow pack as you travel. You know what slope degree is most likely to be dangerous. You know the snow pack and previous weather events etc. The ranger might be right, but I sure wouldn't put my life in their hands. Take an Avy class, read the books, buy the gear, don't go alone. Avalanche and snow pack knowledge is scary. It seems like the more you know you realize the more you need to know.

Mike