GPS units: What's your favorite? Why?

yakimuchacho

Going to Garmins website and comparing the 101 and 201... the only difference is a $50 battery?

Not sure what you were looking at, as both the 101 & 201 use 2 AAA batteries. The 201 can store more trackpoints, waypoints and routes (the 101 cannot store any routes). The 201 can be connected to a computer for use with mapping software, the 101 cannot.

Get the 201, it's great value.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to Garmins website and comparing the 101 and 201... the only difference is a $50 battery?

Not sure what you were looking at, as both the 101 & 201 use 2 AAA batteries. The 201 can store more trackpoints, waypoints and routes (the 101 cannot store any routes). The 201 can be connected to a computer for use with mapping software, the 101 cannot.

Get the 201, it's great value.

I think he's talking about the foretrex 101 vs 201. The biggest difference is the battery (rechargable lithium ion vs. AAAs). The other differences are that the 201 is slightly smaller and that the 201 includes the extra hardware required to connect to a computer. You have to buy that hardware separately for the 101.

Also, don't look at the prices on the Garmin website. Manufacturer's suggestions for retail price rarely match what you actually pay. The difference in the real price (if you also get the data cable) is about $15. The choice comes down to buying batteries for every trip and having the flexibility to change them in the field vs. saving money on batteries but being limited to the 15 hour battery life (or somehow recharging in the field).

I had a Geko 201 for about a year, then switched to the Foretrex 101, which I've had since they first released them. It's nice having it on your wrist and easy to see, but it takes a real beating when you scramble/climb. It has all the same features as the Foretrex 201, but no rechargable battery (which was a selling point for me, since there's not too many places to plug your recharger in when you're backcountry. Simple, lightweight/compact and cheap. lightweight thumbs_up.gif

In case y'all are deaf, I would like to again mention that the 301 has a true barometric altimiter and magnetic compass. Considering you can get it for less than the retail of a 201 if you just look online it is the definite way to go, IMHO. The battery excuse is BS. They make AAA lithium batteries now. Just carry an extra set of those -- they weigh nothing.