Question: Venting the Bibler Fitzroy?

lowebacker

I used my Fitzroy for the first time this past weekend. I had the vestibule attached with the zipper unzipped at the peak near the vent. I then had the larger tent door (the one in the vestibule) vented the same way, with the door unzipped at its peak near the awning. Finally I had the small door vented not at the top near the awning but at the bottom, I had the whole bottom unzipped.

It was a very still and clear night, the temp dropped down to 12* F. We woke up that morning to the whole inside of the tent and the tops of our sleeping bags full of frost. Now I did not fully expect the inside of the tent to be frost free, but I didn't think it would look like a freezer inside!

Am I venting the tent properly? What ways do those of you that have this exact tent vent yours? Should I come to expect this on nights like these? or every cold night? What about semi-cold(>30*), damp nights?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lowebacker

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an I tent and an Eldo... I tend to start the night with the vestibule shut and the door and ceiling vents completely open. If I or my tent mate wake up cold I close the door a little and continue to close it little by little until the door is shut. How many people did you have in the tent?

With the Bibler I-tent (only one door) I have had good luck with the door shut tight and vents open. With two people in the tent body heat pumps the moist air out the vents. I have had more condensation with doors open than when they have been closed.