[TR] Rock Mountain- 11/20/2004

Gary_Yngve

Climb: Rock Mountain-

Date of Climb: 11/20/2004

Trip Report:

Chris Cass, Ryan Forsyth, and myself headed to Rock Mountain, hoping that the name wouldn't be any indication of the snow. We hiked up in our tennies for the first 2000 feet and then put the skiis on. Two thousand feet later, we were at the top. There were a few rocks at the very top that I discovered, but otherwise good coverage. The snow was good -- what we call Cascades "powder" -- which made for slow lazy turns.

zryan.jpg

zIMG_8387.JPG

zIMG_8389.JPG

zIMG_8391.JPG

zIMG_8405.JPG

zIMG_8437.JPG

zIMG_8442.JPG

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Klenke, we took a leisurely four hours to get to the top. I don't have a picture or a recollection of what the traverse to Mt. Howard looked like.

Kurt, from the summit, there was about 1500 vert of good skiing. We skiied a little further along the trail until it became too narrow and too many rocks. The area looks like it would be way fun with greater snow coverage, though obviously one would have to be more wary of the avy conditions. We skiied the leeward slopes, which had about 1-2 feet of new stuff bonded well to the Oct crust.

markws and i went up there on sunday afternoon. had to hike quite a ways before we could throw skins on. saw the biggest most sparkly surface hoar i'd ever seen. skinned up to the ridge before the last push would have occurred. passed snowboarder+dog and two skiers on their way down. didn't summit due to a rather late start and impending darkness. made a short ski back down in some concrete-like crusty snow. UGH ... but it sure was pretty. skied trail back to where it turns to dirt and hiked down into darkness. it wasn't thousands of feet of spine-tingling pow, but it was good anyway - definitely nice to get back on the white stuff! thumbs_up.gif