Diamir Bindings (climbing spring)

jeffh

Just bought my first AT setup and was wondering about the "climbing spring" for the Diamir Freeride bindings. It was not on the bindings when I bought them but the sales person said they would add it for no charge when they mounted them on my skis. Free is good and I figured I could always take it off later if I didn't like it. Is this a useful attachment? Has anyone not wanted it once they added it. Are there any disadvantages to having it on my setup. I have my resort setup so my AT stuff will mainly be for Hood, Adams, Rainier, etc type climbs/skiing. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The climbing spring returns your boot to the ski fast when in touring mode. It also provides resistance (not a good thing) Some people find it useful on steep switchbacks. I do not. If it's free, pick one up and try it out, it's easy to remove, and BD charge $10 or so for one..

I'd without hesitation take them up on the offer for the free springs. You can easily remove them later if you don't like them. I'll have to dissent with Carl's view, I think the springs are useful. They make kickturns easier and I've never noticed the additional resistance. I only have one spring in each binding. YMMV.

Note that a Fritschi w/o spring does not pivot like a Dyanfit as the Fritschi's pivot is infront of the toe.

If you do your kick turns toward the downhill side, the springs might not get in your way. If you do your kick turns to the uphill side, which is faster, the springs can make it a little harder to get the tip around. To a small degree the springs may encourage your tip to dive while breaking trail, which of course would be more effort.

By the way, the standard way they ship the Freerides is without springs. Diamirs ship with springs, however.

In short, if you didn't have the springs, you will likely not miss them. If the springs are free to you, it doesn't hurt to see what your think. If they cost anything, you would probably be better off just trying them out first to see if you feel a need for them.

skip the springs. with good technique, you do not need them on even the steepest uphill turn. just snap your ski with your heal (hard to explain) and with good timing the ski tail will stay up while you turn your ski. keeping the spring on makes breaking trail less efficient because it drives the front of your ski down into the snow.

Thanks for all the input. The AT stuff is still new to me even though I have been skiing all my life. I plan on testing things out Tuesday with the springs (single in each binding) attached. Probably just run up to Ill. Saddle on my first go around. Can't wait to take them to the summit soon.

The "snap kickturn" is really only needed if you have the springs installed, to enable keeping the tip up long enough to get it around. My Diamirs originally came with a single spring each and through use each spring broke. I'm glad they did, they are not missed and if I had thought about it I would have removed them anyway.