Trail Work

glen

Reading ChucK's comment the other day on gettng a free forest pass in exchange for trail work, I decided to do a little looking into it. WYA has a good page that makes it easy to get involved.

Trail maintanence page

Looks like 2 days of trail maintenance gets you a free pass. Certainly not economical, but is a bit more ethically palatable considering that is more of a stewardship approach.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If maintaining trails is so damned expensive, the FS could initiate an "Adopt-a-trail Program" instead of a charge for use system. I am sure there are enough outdoor organizations that would be interested to make a significant impact. Hell, there's probably enough Seattle Mountaineers to do half of what is needed. But this is assuming that the FS is more interested in serving the public good than in generating revenue to fund current and future paving and "development" projects that can also be sold back to us on a fee per use basis. Bad assumption.

that's a great idea retrosaurus. That would put the impetus back on the hikers as well. Trails that don't get used too often would not be wasting maintenance money that could be put to the high-use stuff. As some one who detours off trail a lot to get to places, I don't really care or want to pay for a superhighway and related maintenance.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

Trails that don't get used too often would not be wasting maintenance money that could be put to the high-use stuff.

Only problem is that is the way it is working already. The trails that go deeper into the mountains are hardly seeing any maintenance at all. The only stuff that I end up seeing tended to is stuff that is close to the road and popular. I think if something like the Fee Demo got institutionalized, that would only make it worse. People doing trail work on something that interests them is great, but I don't think there are enough folks that would be able to keep the less popular trails from getting overgrown enough to nearly disappear.

I'm not exactly sure what the requirements are to get permission to do your own "user supported" trail maintenance, but as it stands now, I know if the Forest Service or Park Service caught you taking the issue into your own hands, they would have a problem with it. So, as usual, don't let them catch you at it.