What do you buy "in store"?

Blake

So I have a pretty large gift certificate to a local outdoors ski/bike/climb shop. I usually make most of my large purchases online, to get better deals. However, now that I can only spend this cash in a local store, I need ideas for what to use it on. Are there certain items that you all typically purchase "hands on" or where yo can test them out, versus just online? I'm looking to upgrade my aline ski setup to A/T with a purchase of bindings and skins (possibly AT boots, but not sure how needed they'll be. Any ideas for stuff that you feel is best to "try before you buy" or that you can't get a better deal on by looking around the net?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of a better item than skiing boots, though I've always bought online and prayed for a good fit. I've heard it's really helpful to get a good boot fitter to set you up, cook the thermo liners, etc. I just can't afford to buy boots new at retail price, so I've never done it.

AT boots are much lighter than alpine boots, so that's a big advantage. They also have a full vibram-like sole, so you can move around on the ice and hike in them. Try doing that with alpine boots. They also take crampons fairly easily, even the wire bale style.

Most AT boots tend to not have the forward lean and stiff plastics that a lot of alpine boots have. Some people complain they wind up "in the back seat" easily. In general, they won't ski as well as alpine boots, as they are trying to be somewhat dual purpose. I couldn't imagine lugging alpine boots up something like Baker or Hood though, and I only own AT boots, no alpine boots.

My skiing has been greatly improved by skiing in AT boots. They are softer and not as forward-leaning, and I find that the boots cause me to have to check my balance a lot more and be very light on my feet, which in turn has made me a far more graceful skier.

Sorry about the thread drift. I agree with IaXX, AT boots are a great choice. If you get the kind with Thermofits in them, you will have delightfully warm feet!!

Here's a point of view from someone who just switched from alpine boots on an AT setup to AT boots. It's a hell of a lot easier and more comfortable to climb in AT boots. They also fit more comfortably. As for going downhill, I did that last weekend for the first time in my Scarpa Lasers and I sucked it up big time. . . b-rock can attest to that. I was sitting back almost the whole way down. I'm getting used to them fast, and I definitely love them for going up.

If I plan on easing into A/T skiing and not doing anything too extreme or hardcore, would have specific A/T boots give me a big advantage over alpine boots?

I plan on learning how to ride a bike, not doing anything too extreme or hardcore, would putting tires on my wheels give me a big advantage over riding on the rims?

If I plan on easing into A/T skiing and not doing anything too extreme or hardcore, would have specific A/T boots give me a big advantage over alpine boots?

I plan on learning how to ride a bike, not doing anything too extreme or hardcore, would putting tires on my wheels give me a big advantage over riding on the rims?

Leave the tires off squid, we know you are all about the rim job! smileysex5.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif