I'm not a dummy

ketch

In the mid 70's I was out road trippin and climbed at a place called City of the Rocks. Loved it and never had a chance to go back. A few years ago I stopped by in southeren Idaho and climbed at the city but wondered where all the routes I had done the first time went. And why is this rock Sooo differant.

So this road trip I bought a guide and still couldn't find any of the old routes. But then in another part of the trip I'm looking over my maps and find "City of the Rocks" in southern New Mexico. It is a wildly erroded outcropping of Volcanic Rhyolite. That's the one I remembered I was just a little off in my location. smirk.gif

Any body out there have any beta on The City in NM or know a link to a New Mexico climbers site? This time of year New Mexico sounds funner to climb than Idaho anyway. cool.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but you can fly SW right now one way from PDX to SLC or Boise for 39 bucks which is about the same you will spend in gas but not have to sit through 10 hours of car time... City anyone?

I have never climbed at the NM city but the ID city stays good as late as Nov... all depends on the snow... and with Castle Rock open... hmmm.

Thats all well and good, except, I need to spend several days in Austin, a couple in San Diego, a couple in Pampa, and I am planning on a few in Co. Flying to Idaho doesn't help. A little climbin along the way always seems to help though. No takers on the NM beta?

OW thanks for the info. I had seen the discussion at RC.com and looked at the tourist stuff. The texas folk say it is like the ultimate bouldering spot tending to be mostly highballs. Weird sculpted rock though. No one seems to have direct beta other than "it's cool" or "it's the shiznit" Looks like I will just stop and play for aday or two.

It looks well suited to the "poke around" school of exploration. It's not always as productive as having a ticklist and a plan, but I really enjoy that kind of discovery. Are you travelling alone? You might be able to scare up a partner either on that Texas board or Boldering.com (yes, spelled that way). B.com seems to have it's share of Texans, and they're pretty devoted pad people. We want a Distel-style spread when you get back.

Oh, and that story about misplacing the City of Rocks is classic, I thought I had a bad route memory. yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm back from road trippin. Awesome time but vehicle problems suck. Didn't get to climb in city N.M. I did do some short route stuff in Austin and talked to a local there who said that yes New Mexico is the place I remembered. He says it rocks,no guides only local beta, and it hasn't been "discovered" yet. I so miss it now. I did have some great other climbs. Awesome trip with Griz up Quandry peak and then a lttle foray into Arches national park and topped off with three days at the city in Idaho. Kinda fun, the ranger stopped by once and said "your the only person in the whole reserve, you can do anything you want." A little cold and snowy but sweet times doing anything I wanted. Definatley much better at my roped solo stuff after that. I will try and get pictures and such together and share soon.