[TR] Das Toof- Standard route and catwalk, under snow 9/19/2004

Dr_Crash

Climb: Das Toof-Standard route and catwalk, under snow

Date of Climb: 9/19/2004

Trip Report:

Chriss was kind enough to lead me to my very first alpine rock climb. We decided on a lazy day, and left Bellevue at 9am. We headed for the trailhead at about 10 something, and had a nice approach through some drizzle up to the bottom of the Tooth. I wish the approach was in snow, because those talus full of various sized rocks get old. There was a bit of a sprinkling of snow on the upper slopes above the bowl.

We set up for climbing at the bottom of the Tooth, and the drizzle turns into snow. Hell, yes! Very very wet snow, though, that didn't stick to the ground. But it was pretty cool to be climbing with snow falling. Made a simple climb feel that much more alpine.

No issues climbing up. The rock was very wet and slippery, especially in big mountaineering boots. But that was part of the charm too. At the summit, the view was pretty bad thanks to all the fog that was also present... We descended down in three rappels. We made the two extra raps down the gully between the Tooth and one of the pinnacles / gendarmes, and went back to the car.

All in all, a great way to spend a Sunday.

Gear Notes:

Big fat mountaineering boots (not needed, just for the heck of it).

Minimal protection; we placed a small cam, a small nut, and a #11 hex, and that's about it.

Approach Notes:

Too many rock boulders smile.gif The trail isn't obvious, but one can go across anywhere.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. And thanks for taking some of your time to have me practice rappelling at Marymoor first. It helped a lot when time came to first lean out and go down at the top of the climb.

I hope you had a great week-end. I'm still hungry for more alpine climbing before the ski season, so if you have something in mind you'd do with me, please PM me.

drC