Marmot Precip rocks

Timcb

I got the Precip jacket from REI-outlet for $60 a couple months ago and it has really served me well. The DWR coating has held up well so far and even when it does eventually get soaked, the jacket remains waterproof and seems very breathable. At 1 pound, it feels very light, both in the pack and on the back and packs compactly too.

The final test was last week, while I was rock climbing up in the Cathedral Lakes/Mtns area of the Pasayten and adjacent BC. The weather was generally cold and windy and I climbed almost every day in my Precip. It held up very well, without even any signs of abrasion (miraculous considering the amount of chimneying we did and the exceptional coarseness of the granite).

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the precip for a while, but found I out performed it. I upgraded my jacket to a goretex paclite jacket (Sirrus SL from Arcteryx.) And have been infinatly happier with it. Paclite is more breathable, more durable and less clammy than the precip, in my opinion. I've also found that when the precip does wet out, it tends to get kind of saggy, which I havn't seen happen to the packlite. I think my jacket is a little bit heavier (only a two ounces or something like that) but I'm willing to carry the extra weight when I have something that will last longer, keep my comfotable, and have a hood adjustment system that is lightyears ahead of the precip jacket (any marmot jacket for that matter)

Precip= rolleyes.gif

Paclite= thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Alan

I've been somewhat unsatisfied with my Precip jacket. It's waterproof, but doesn't breath worth a damn and I'm often faced with the choice of being soaked by rain or soaked by my own sweat. tongue.gif I've only been happy having it along for late summer/fall trips where I can use it to fend off suprise squals but it's cold enough that I won't sweat too much.

Dead Bird=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Patagonia Spectre=thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Arc'teryx is expensive, but Patagucci isn't? yelrotflmao.gif

I have the predecessor to the Spectre (the Lightning) & the Sirius. The Sirius breathes better, but the Lightning has a better cut for climbing. Sirius is exactly the wrong length to wear with a harness. Both Patagonia and Arc'teryx are a fortune at retail. Add the Gore surchage on top and make that a bloody fortune.

all waterproof/breathable jackets ate junk. they serve two purposes, one to keep as much rain off you as possible and the other is to cut the wind.

gore and all the simlimar shit only really works in drier climates. where there is a difference between the baro/moisture content in thir perspective enviroments. like all equations balance is the key and if it wet/warm inside the jacket and wet and cold outside the jacket, the only part of the equation that needs to be balanced is the warm/cold.

only fabric that really works in the pnw is loew triple point.