Weather at city of rocks

TrogdortheBurninator

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The new area is Castle Rock. I haven't been there yet but have heard it's good stuff. Apparently mini-guides are available in the visitors center in Almo.

Re "general vicinity": Sawtooths are 4+ hours to the north, Tetons 4 hours to the East (IIRC) and the urban cragging of SLC is 3+ hours to the south. Closer by is steepish bolted basalt at Masacre rocks (Pocatello) and STEEP bolted basalt at Dierkes Lake (Twin Falls). These are more like an hour away.

The City is fairly high so the weather can be pretty variable. But I've been there a couple of times in mid-summer and was able to climb comfortably by chasing the shade (which is easy to do there).

I was just there. If it was baking hot in the sun, the shady routes were perfect. On cool days,you follow the sun.

And since there are about five billion routes there, you should have no trouble finding places to climb. You can get a mini guide for Castle Rock at the Almo visitor's center (Yaniro's Splitter 5.11a looks stunning-- we got rained off at the base, argh). I would recommend getting the full guide, not the mini version, for Cty of Rocks itself.

chris