seen on Mtncommunity.Org

Dru

We are the "other BBS!!!"

Outrageous slander on Alpine Grade Inflation by Big Hurt Bob"

I have seen this topic discussed before in reference to pure rock routes, but not in terms of alpine routes. Often times I am struck by how trivial many difficulties on alpine routes turn out to be despite hyperbole to the contrary.

For example, I had never done any route requiring an approach over Sharkfin Col as I had often heard it described as being difficult, scary and requiring a double rope rappel that once pulled, commits oneself irrevocably. This past Sunday on our way to the North Ridge of Forbidden my partner and I easily navigated this problem via an obvious variation. No big deal. We had also heard that the North Ridge was loose. We were pleasantly surprised by how sound the rock was.

There was a thread on ‘the other’ BBS discussing what a difficult, miserable bushwhack of an approach the North Face of Shuksan was. I had done 12 months prior and found it a bit brushy for only a short ways then pleasant open forgets and ridge line hiking. I have a hard time believing it would change that drastically in 12 months.

I still laugh over an encounter I had in the Tetons at the fixed rope up to the lower saddle. We came up behind a climber who belligerently asked us what our plans were. We told him the full Exum. He proceeded to tell us what a difficult, committing route it was and we would be getting in over our heads. We thanked him for the advice and cruised the route, fully enjoying the solid, moderate climbing.

I wonder what people are thinking when they make such statements. Is it because they are gym trained and don’t know from difficult?

Maybe you should get on there and tell Big Bob how gay he is, MountainMan and RedMonk??? [laf]

[ 08-15-2002, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic