Garmont "Tour" boots

johndavidjr

correction: "Tower" boots.

Nice, superlight mountaineering boot. Climbs rock relatively well & good in snow. Crampon straps seemed a tad uncomfortable at times, flatfooting on moderate ice, & is perhaps too light for lots of heavy ice climbing. But sole is fairly stiff & does have protective rubber rand. Seems nearly ideal for summer climbing & could even do volcanos. Weighs about same as Trango, but has Goretex liner. I wore them with superfeet for three moderate climbing days in Canada & a hellacious hike, and got no blisters, even with semi-soft feet. This boot definitely not for winter. Gave my Yukons to a truck driver in Calgary.

--

Edited by johndavidjr

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, you are correct. The store in Canmore I think labeled them incorrectly as "Tour," but I may be wrong. Towers are now on sale for $159 at Mt. Gear. Man did I get ripped off, even given Canadian currency. The review you provided compares the boot unfavorably with rock climbing shoes for rock climbing. I'd say a 5.3 climb in rock shoes becomes a 5.4 or even maybe a 5.5 wearing these things... But for a mountaineering boot, they're superior rock climbers....

____

Edited by johndavidjr

I'd guess at this time of year the summer boots are being closed out for next year's models.

[by the way, I was looking at the deal mgear.com has on Tecnica T-Rock's ($199). I took a glacier class last month with a guy who had just bought a brand new pair from a shop for more than $300. Not sure if they are any good for people with wide toes and narrow heels]

No, ratings don't relate to boots & of course I meant only subjective comment. These boots are great for rock compared to normal mountain footwear. They even look like the old Royal Robbins rock shoe of late 60s, and may climb nearly as well, which isn't saying much for RRs. I'm enthused.

Hey -- nice cruise to Olympus. Taking Towers there is far better than my old Maks.

---

La Sportiva Thunder 2lbs 12oz

Trango S: 2lbs 10oz

Supernova: 2lbs 12 oz

Hell, my Salomon Pro Ice (which are technical climbing boots) only weight 4lbs.

I am taking issue with your reference to those as "superlight". If one wanted a superlight boot I think they could go a lot lighter.

Hmm==guess you're right. I'm comparing them almost soley with my old Makalus. They are much lighter.

Towers' actual weight is 3 lbs 2 oz for pair, or four ounces heavier, each, than Trangos. I would be afraid to buy Trangos because of uncertain reputation for slush hiking.

I must check out the others you mention. Isn't Garmont Ferrata slightly stiffer & heavier than Tower?

----

Edited by johndavidjr

I'm just quoting the manufacturers figures.

I figured - some manufacturers are more "optimistic" than others in my experience. Mountain Gear claims 3lbs 2oz/pair which is consistent with how they feel to me - the pair ways about as much as a single one of my old mountain boots