Granite Peak

Circe

Hi,

Just looking for some beta on Granite Peak for this weekend. I hear weather is supposed to be good. Considering 2 approaches...one coming from the West Rosebud to Mystic lake, then to Phantom Creek up the switchbacks up to the Froze to Death Plateau and camping at the base of Tempest Mntn.

Other idea is to go up the West Rosebud to Phantom Creek to Huckleberry Creek drainage, but I've heard conflicting reports of treacherous boulder fields, quickness, and ease.

Anyone have some beta in general?

Jen pitty.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, THIS Granite Pk is Montana's highest.....

I've done both approaches and it depends on what you like. Froze to Death Plateau is easier walking but is longer and involves elevation loss to descend from the plateau. The creek approach involves some off-trail work and talus but no elevation loss. But lots of people do it so much has a climber's trail. I assume you're going to climb it, so have fun. wave.gif

Froze-to-Death Plateau vs. Avalanche Lake approaches:

FtD Plateau approach is longer by a few miles.

FtD Plateau is more scenic though.

FtD Plateau is a pain in the ass to walk across due to many tedious small creek holes, rocks, and bogs.

FtD Plateau is prone to winds (look for human-built rockwalls with which to camp behind)

FtD Plateau is prone to thunderstorm rains & lightning

FtD Plateau allows you to climb Tempest as a secondary or back-up

FtD Plateau contains no bushwhacking (I've heard the Avalanche Lake approach has some but I haven't been that way so don't know for sure).

The loss of elevation Matt is referring to is to get from FtD Plateau down to the saddle between Tempest and Granite. The traversing descent sucks ass but the drop is only about 300 vertical. This same suck ass should be expected for the long talus slope getting up to the saddle from the Avalanche Lake approach, so you takes your pick.

Some distance on the FtD approach can be 86ed if you cut off the trail at the big cairn. Turning right (SE) here gets you up on the plateau w/o having to go all the way to the pass at the north end of it.

How many "Granite" peaks are there in the NW anyway? There's on over by Mt Daniel, one around Snoqualmie pass. How many others? It's about as generic as "Goat" peak.

in canada

Below are all the Mountain records that have ' granite' directly in their title or placenames fields.

Granite Hills NU ( 64°56' 83°45' ) 550m

Granite Mountain BC ( 51°30' 119°56' ) 2240m

Granite Mountain BC ( 52°30' 122°14' ) 1398m

Granite Mountain BC ( 49°06' 117°51' ) 2036m

Granite Mountain WA ( 48°55' 121°35' ) 2039m

Granite Mountain YT ( 62°18' 136°56' ) 1421m

Granite Mountain BC ( 49°20' 120°52' ) 1926m

Granite Peak BC ( 50°27' 116°35' ) 3117m

Granite Peak (Bute Inlet) BC ( 50°43' 124°58' ) 2073m

Red Granite Mountain YT ( 61°21' 136°36' ) 2006m

and i'm sure that there are more