"Stick It " - JCCA COMP. in Seattle

Ok, I know all you tough guys out there only admit to climbing outdoors, but here is some Gym news that the whole community should know about.

Vertical World in Seattle is hosting a JCCA comp. on Saturday April 7th. It is free to come watch so head down and support the future of our sport. These kids really crank!

For more information about the comp. or our gym please call 206-283-4497. Thanks Everyone. V.W.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the future of my sport lies in the hands of these kids that "crank." At least I hope it doesn't. Indoor climbing might be great and all but I don't think the future of our sport is going to be defined by some kids that climb 5.13 in the gym and cant climb a 5.8 hand crack. These kids maybe part of some avenue our sport goes down but the road dead ends. Our future lies in the kids that aren't scared to go outside and get cold, dirty, wet and tired and only get to do 1 lousy pitch. Or the kid that is willing to do anything for someone to take him climbing in the moutains. The kid that dreams of living in Yosemite and going to Chamoniox, not the kid that dreams of going to "THE happy boulders" (replace this with the most current popular bouldering area) or Rifle. I don't have a problem with kids or people that climb in the gym but when people start telling me that this is the future for our sport I get a little upset. Take the "crankin" kids off their high pony so they don't fall off and hurt themselves.

I can't answer for all the JCCA kids, some of you have already done that anyway. I can defend my own two kids that compete in JCCA events though. They can (and have) climbed 5.8 cracks but they do prefer steeper face climbs. They both like climbing period, inside or outside. Both of them have even ventured into the mountains and enjoyed it. No, I don't consider them the sole future of our sport and I hope that the narrow-minded elitist attitudes that other climbers seem to have isn't where we're going either. If you happen to run into myself and the kids at the crags or in the mountains, stop and say hi. You might find that we all have something in common.

Paul

These kids climbing indoors or in competitions are not always gunning for the future of climbing or defining the direction of climbing, most of them are having fun in a safe environment. If I had ventured out on a scary runnout lead in my early teens no doubt I would have been serious injured. Now, I do the very long committed alpine scary runout routes. I do the runnout 5.12 sport routes that make people whimper. I do the Index, Squamish, Red Rock (hell anywhere) hard 5.11 multi-pitch routes. And I do believe in these kids cranking the hard indoor routes will eventually find the other aspects of climbing, and then, I'll be the one saying how brave they really are.

Well said Paul. A majority of the kids on the Vertical World team are really exited to "get out there" this upcoming season. These competitions are not all about ego, they are alot of fun. It is the next generation of climbers who will keep the sport alive when we are gone. Hopefully they will advance beyond our limits in all aspects of climbing. Regardless, I think it is great to encourage them. Thanks -M.L.