Anyone know the snow conditions on Mt. Daniels?

BillF

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its over a month old, but here's a link to a trip report and pictures from Daniels that was put up on turns all year

http://www.turns-all-year.com/goldhome3/hp135/index.html

I've been up to Daniels before in September and the Hyas Creek glacier wasn't all that suncupped even then, so odds are the glacier is probably still smooth enough for good turns.

With the hot weather though, I doubt you'd be on snow until past Peggy's Pond and on the glacier proper.

As for it being suitable for a beginner...as you can tell from the photos, the hyas creek cirque has rather low angle, mellow terrain and I don't think there any crevasses on that side of the mountain, whether there's still a continuous line of snow from the east peak of daniels down the hyas creek though, who knows, might have melted out by now, which would make for rather limited terrain to ski on.

The Lynch and Daniels glaciers are low angle but have a few more crevasses probably disqualifying it from being suitable beginner terrain.

Its a long hike in to carry skis/board (as I'm sure you're already aware of) but I doubt you'll see many other skiers up there.