Current info on Ruth?

Hoosier_JB

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trail is good to pass. Lot's of water until pass.

Bring crampons and ice axe.

Hike all the way to pass then head right over small bump then make ascent up long steep slope then traverse up and left under small peak. From there you can pretty much see the route.

The hike out can seem tedious.

I was up there a couple weeks ago. Can't imagine that crampons would help you, especially in this heat. I brought them, but didn't use them. An ice axe should suffice. Not sure of how Bill is telling you to approach. From the point on the trail where there is the sign for the Hannegan Camp, i took that trail and then went cross country for the base of the route. There is a faint, very faint trail at points through the heather. I found that it was very easy traveling this way. I met a guy on my way back down and he said folowing the trail instead of breaking off at the Hanegan camp was pretty miserable and descended via my route. I haven't personally gone the other way so I can't say. Although if you try one way and don't like it go back the other.

I would go with Bill's recommendation. The route is straightforeward and has an unmistakeable bootpath. Just go to the pass, and before boundry camp turn right up the hill. If you go from Hannagan camp, you will only trample the heather this time of year. The bowl is a good shortcut when its full of snow, though. You won't need crampons to summit Ruth.

I was up there last Sept., The glacier is very straight forward but I wouldn't go unroped. On our way down we were messing around in the crevasses and saw a group following our tracks up. They were over a large crevasse that I outflanked,from my vantage I could see only a 12inch snow bridge supporting their weight. Its your call but if you go stay to the far right of the snow ridge up the glacier, and connect onto the right ridge (west?) lower down. If you goto the left ridge it also had a few crevasses opening up.

Cheers

Ced.

I was there on the 12th of July. I would stick to the trail (not to Hannegan Camp). Like RUSTYKNEES said, once you get to the pass, head right. You'll first gain a few feet of elevation and then drop down into a meadow. From the meadow, follow the steep and muddy climbers trail at the base of the subsidiary rock peak.

There's two ways to the summit from the glacier. One is to traverse to the west to a small notch between Ruth and the little peak next to it. From the notch, head up to the summit (about 300 vertical feet?). Another way is to just head straight up the glacier, close to the big black rock outcrop. This way is much more direct and is recommended.

We did see two small crevasses off of the route. We did rope up on ascent but not on descent. Since its been more then two weeks since, I imagine the more crevasses have opened up.

If interested, check out my trip report and pics on summitpost:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/trip_report.pl?trip_report_id=1309&mountain_id=851

Have fun!

Edited by esugi

I climbed Ruth solo on Monday. The snow was soft and wet, and crampons were of little use. I took what seemed like the usual route straight up from Ruth Arm and encountered two crevasses — one very small and one big enough for a climber. I crossed between them, with the larger crevasse above me. I admit I was surprised to see the larger crevasse this early in the season, as I had heard that crevasses were not an issue on Ruth until very late in the season.

As others have stated, the route is very clear. Just take a right at Hannegan Pass, head through a camping area on trail and climb a very rough and steep climbers route to a rocky bench. Then head left on a path around the rock to a meadowy ridge. Climb some nearly flat rock and head up the snow.

A hiker who signed the trail register right before me encountered a black bear heading up the trail about a mile in.

Take time to climb Hannegan Peak from the pass as well. It's a steep 30-minute hike, and the views are just as spectacular as those from Ruth's summit.

Have a good trip.