Airplane Wreckage on Snoqualmie Mtn

SEF

Recently I was hiking back to Cave Ridge across the E flanks of Snoqualmie Mtn, returning from soloing W Ridge of Lundin, and came across a small airplane wreckage. Perhaps a Cessna. It was on a relatively level contour about even with the low point of the Lundin-Snoqualmie ridge, and perhaps several hundred yards W of that low point.

Anyone know anything about it? I did a quick search on the forums but failed to find anything.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

One place to look is on the NTSB website. Here is their query page. The response list doesn't generate into a standard webpage for me to link to, so you have to do the query yourself.

I typed in 1/1/63 to 7/19/04 for the timeframe, "Snoqualmie Pass" for the city, and "WASHINGTON" for the state, and got five search results (1984, 1989, 1992, 1995, 1999).

I'm fascinated by airplane wrecks in the mountains. The one in 99 was two alaska businessmen slamming into the east side of granite mt in the fog. I always wanted to go look for it when it was fresh, but never did. I forget about it until I found the article in with some old trip reports last week. They were busy searching for john kennedy on the east coast, so it barely got a mention here in seattle.

Hey! It's the new guy trying to make a link.

web page

rockband.gif

I believe the one on Snoqualmie happened around 1992 or so, because I was in SAR training when that happened. I remember talking to a friend who was involved and he said the plane somehow came to rest underneith a boulder. I could be wrong about the date though.

There is another wreckage on the side of Mt. Enumclaw which happened around 1993. I was on that recovery and it was pretty nasty, the plane slammed into the cliffside and fell a good 500 feet.

Interesting. Nothing in the NTSB aviation accident database describes a crash in the location I saw. I'm wondering if it may be incomplete.

Here are the closest I found: The 1992 crash mentioned was on Granite and involved a Beech plane. A 1995 crash involved a Cessna 2 mi W of the pass in heavy timber, and the wreckage salvaged. A 1999 crash involving a Cessna was also on Granite.