[TR] Hood- Cooper Spur 7/14/2004

Chriznitch

Climb: Hood-Cooper Spur

Date of Climb: 7/14/2004

Trip Report:

I've been wanting to get on this classic, and although the season is progressing fast I decided to give it a shot. I arranged for my buddy Kevin to tag along and drive my truck over to the south side while I solo'd the route.

I was most impressed with the northeast views when we got above timberline:

6016IMG_0178-med.jpg

The route did look a little thin, and it was obvious that some rock climbing was going to happen. So I began the climb up the crappy snow and ascended one of the rockfall chutes so that a slip would bring me down the spur instead of down to the Elliot. Luckily with some double-kicking and tip-toeing this theory didn't have to be tested. I finally reached the rocks and remained there as long as possible--these are much more trustworthy than the soft snow. For a split second I thought I was in the Sierras:

6016IMG_0181-med.jpg

Lower down the rock was surprisingly good and fast. Found some historically significant items along the way:

6016IMG_0183-med.jpg

Being able to climb rock for more than 500', The upper rocks were much more scheisty than those lower down. Luckily only a few holds pulled out :?

I finished on decent snow and turned around to look back down on the spur:

6016IMG_0187-med.jpg

Enjoyed a fast walk down to timberline and found the 'shrund easily hopped over

6016IMG_0192-med.jpg

It was amusing to watch a large party belay everyone down this, and I was probably at the truck before they finished.

There was minimal rockfall on the CS route, but I saw lots of BIG rocks falling down the North Face route next door. Sunshine was looking pretty good and had way more snow than CS, plus fresh ski tracks. I'm glad I finally got onto this side of the mountain.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

that your buddy's shadow following you to tie in rock?

i remember the rope coil...last time i saw it some fool had slung some of the coils w/ cord and rapped off it i suppose.

looked like fun, a fine way to celebrate bastille day!