Mt. Adams SW Chutes

alexbaker

I am looking to head to Mt. ADams for some skiing this weekend. Anybody been up there on a pair of boards lately? How is the snow? Sun cups? Also, how steep are the SW chutes? Ive heard anywhere from 35 to 45 degrees. Obviously, there is a big difference here. How is the approach (cold springs) looking. Is there a decent trail? Any help is appreciated. happy trails.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=tr0407;action=display;num=1089669814

Sun cups? Yes, on the bottom two thirds.

Steepness? Nothing over 35 degrees I'd say.

The approach is fine... wide easy dry obvious trail until snowline (7000ft?).

On the descent, after the snow ends, make your way downhill until you hit the round-the-mountain trail (well-travelled and obvious) which meets up with the south climb trail.

I huffed my board up on sunday and here's what I found:

-snow up to Lunch Counter (upper crescent glacier) was undulated but not all that bad. sun cups forming but still small (<6").

-LC to FS sun cups worse...I'd rather glissade down that prime track than board down the SS

-(didn't summit)

-SW Chutes (2pm); I made the mistake of taking the center chute. big runnels, undulations, etc. hard work. I should have walked over the rock band and continued down the right side when I realized my mistake. If you're doing the chutes, go down skier's right! (although, it from philfort's link, it sounds like it's bad all over)

-info about exiting the chutes...http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/369947/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

good luck ab!